Thursday, September 18, 2008

September 18, 2008 8:20 p.m.

Today was kind of a run of the mill day around here. I woke up super tired. Headed down to morning puja. Slept in the gompa (the ritual area) from 6-7 a.m. during puja which is quite the feat with all the noise. Sleeping in the gompa isn’t normal, hehehe.

I then headed into Boudha to chat with Tim. After 20 minutes the internet went down. I decided to do Kora for a bit when I nice monk caught my attention. He chatted with me for a bit and then took me on a tour of his monastery. Told me what the statues were that I didn’t recognize. He then asked if he could bless my mala. While he did that another monk gave me a blessing. I gave both of them a bit of money and then went on my way after more questions. Questions like: where am I staying? How much are they charging me to stay there? (I’m a guest so there is no charge.) Etc… I took my leave pretty quickly as I’m learning. I guess I’m not a fast enough learner though.

Anna chastised me for going with him and answering any questions. She told me that there are fake monks out there and this “Lama Dorje” was quite possibly a fake and it is dangerous for him to know where I live. (Where you live is where you are staying even if it is just for a night). The ngakpa that is so interested in me… I won’t be going to see him. They both could be quite legit and very interested in me for whatever reason, but the likelihood is that I am a rich foreigner and they are trying to get as much money from me as possible. And you are rich because you were able to travel here… at least in their terms.

I probably disappointed these monks with how little I gave them. From foreigners they expect hundreds. There is an ani that has given me blessings and I know she is authentic. Anna has told me that I can do whatever she wants as she is safe. Even if others might call her crazy. A crazy nun, I love it! She approached me the other day and I didn’t understand what she wanted from her words or sign language. I later learned from Anna that she probably wanted to take me out to breakfast. Now that would have been a real treat if I hadn’t been so wary.

Everyone wants your money here and will use whatever means they can to get it. There are plenty of monks and nuns that are just lay people who have purchased the ‘lama clothes’ as a means to getting money.

This place is crazy! It gets under your skin like a fungus, but in all the good ways, lol!

I then remembered I was hoping to find a small journey rug for myself. I priced around for them. I then tried out a super expensive internet place. More than double the price of the normal one I go to. I got all those photos uploaded in one hour today. Woot! Still only about 3 days into my trip though as far as photos go.

But I got to talk to my honey for longer than usual which was nice. I returned back to find out that Tom and Betsy won’t be arriving until Monday. Gives me a few more days. Then I learned that Lama-la and Dechen were leaving in just a couple of hours for at least 3 days. I ran to Boudha with Ani to pick up some supplies. I got back (so super hot today, oh my goodness!) and Dechen said she was running to Boudha soon and I could go with her if I wanted. But soon didn’t happen. It was a couple of hours later. Then Lama-la wasn’t leaving today as there was an accident on the road to where they were going, Popping, and the road was closed. So they would be leaving in the morning.

Anna came to visit me in my room for a little bit today. Then Dechen joined us. Then her father. Then Lama-la came up. It was almost like a party in my room, hehehe. Dechen and I eventually went to Boudha. On the way there she bought a pair of pants. I told her I thought she was paying too much. Almost 700 rupees. I wasn’t sure, but I told her a couple of times I thought she was paying too much. Then as we ran her errands I ran her to a clothing stand that is around the Stupa. Those pants were like 250 rupees. She hit me. A couple of times. Hehehe. Same style too. Ha, ha, I’m a better shopper, hehehe.

As we were coming back we ran into Anna so I went with Anna to the supermarket and got an ice cream bar and a soda to try to cool me down. I finally got back and washed myself down a bit as I was covered in sweat. Then laid around a bit and read. I went down before puja and Dechen asked me about the hats I am knitting. She loves them! Yeah!

Puja was fast. I was upset with the little monks. They got into my stuff. They ate my favorite snack out of my tsog bag and put some sticky stuff on the clapper of my bell. Anna said they were just playing a joke on me, but I wasn’t happy. Lakpa told them right in puja not to touch my stuff again. There were giggles as he explained to them what happened. I told them I would beat them if I caught them touching my stuff, hehehe, there were more giggles. And then I packed up all of my stuff and took it to my room. The damaru (drum) I have at home was more expensive because I purchased in the States, but this one is much nicer. As in I think there are monks and maybe an ani that are coveting it. There are nicer ones that come in with other foreigners that are basically my drum but with new heads put on them. I don’t like them as they are snake skin with the scales still on it. Gives me shivers. But I don’t want my stuff ruined even if it is a joke.

Dechen made momos again for dinner. Momos are a lot like potstickers. Super yummy. These were even better than normal as she put some extra spices in them, like cilantro. Mmmm.

We then had to package up more tsog bags as Lama-la isn’t leaving tomorrow as the road will be closed for a while so he will be seeing people tomorrow. I found a rubber band on the floor so I snapped Dechen with it. She screamed and then laughed. Then she made me to it to the other Dechen. Who screamed. Then we both laughed at her. Then Dechen made me do it to Ani. Who screamed. Then we all laughed at her. Dechen was trying to make me get the other Dechen with it again when I gave the rubber band away as I felt bad for making people scream. Although the laugh was very good for the belly. We laugh a ton here.

Like today when we were talking about them leaving. Lama-la said that I was the household so it should be fun ordering the other Dechen and Ani around. I told him that I was going to sit in his seat and see people while he was gone and I pantomimed what he does when he sees the people (the blessings he gives). He got a huge laugh out of it and then started assigning roles to everyone to support me in it. Dechen laughed so hard I thought she was going to choke. I’m not sure what all he said as she couldn’t breathe for a while.

I showed Dechen how to knit. I think she really enjoyed it. She even stopped eating dinner to knit some more. Hehehe. It is contagious!

So it seems the next few days should be pretty normal. I learned that our next all day puja will most like be September 24th as it is a Dakini day. I can’t wait to learn what puja that is.

I am getting so close to having the chod puja that we do every night down perfectly. Damaru, bell, and all. It is sort of like rubbing your belly and patting your head and singing at the same time.

11 more full days here and then it is time to pack up and leave. I am not looking forward to the trip home. It is too stressful for me. But will be very happy when I get home. Though I won’t really be home. I leave the following weekend I believe. Then am home for something like 2 weeks and then I’m gone for a week. Then I am home for about a week and a half and then I’m gone for another week. And then I’m home! Woot! The second week of November is when I will be home for a bit. I think. I hope, at least for my family’s sake! Cuz if it isn’t, I won’t have a family to return to. They will abandon me!

Lama Wangdu is supposed to be returning to the U.S. in December. I am so thankful for that. It means I won’t be taking another trip back here too soon. Not that I don’t want to come back, it just gives the pocketbook more time to recover! Which it will need a long recovery time after all of this!

The power should be back on in about 5 minutes. Woot! My room gets so hot being on the top floor. The fan will come on when the power does come back on which will help.

I think it is about time for me to drag my exhausted butt to bed. And I just figured out I’m wrong about the power. It will be another 45 minutes till its back on. Hurry up power! I am so hot!!!

No comments: