Friday, October 3, 2008

October 1st, 2008

8:52 a.m. London time

Now is not the time to lecture anyone on smoking. I have been travelling for over a day now. I’ve gotten 5 hours of very disturbed sleep. “Is there nowhere you can smoke here? Even for someone in transit for over a day now?” “Well it’s a good time to stop!” as he stands in front of large shelves full of duty free cigarettes.

We arrived in London ahead of schedule. But we didn’t land accordingly. I swear there was a malfunction with the plane they didn’t tell us about. I had finished my breakfast and just fallen back to sleep when the plane made this horribly loud squealing. This happened a few times as it seemed the pilot was trying to get something to work. All the while we are circling London for 45 minutes without a word from the pilot.

Approach was pretty rough. Several people were gasping and exclaiming. Then during landing we tilted pretty heavily. There was almost cheering when we finally were on the ground.

Then you know the tube that connects to the plane so you can leave the plane. It was broken. Then it took about a half an hour to find steps so we could finally unload.

I was thankful as each little delay or distraction is helping. It’s one thing to sit here for a half hour or there for an hour. It’s a totally different thing to sit in a transit room for 10 hours!

Several people missed flights which they were very vocal about. I’m sure it was very frustrating considering we arrived early.

This airport is huge. I think Terminal 4 is as large as SeaTac. A friend recently travelled to Greece. She made mention that she didn’t realize that you had to go through security again when switching terminals in Heathrow. You have to go through security no matter what. I don’t understand, but I’m thankful to fly in the U.S. now. There are security checks everywhere. I have always been able to sneak through security with a lighter.

I started out with 4 lighters and only have one left. But I still have my thangkas. I am very thankful for that as 2 different security stations seriously considered them.

In Delhi, I was to identify my checked baggage. Please arrive in Seattle safely without anything missing! I am not feeling too confident on that as most of my zippers were open in Delhi. I didn’t even think to bring locks with me. Stupid! Really stupid! Most of the expensive items were, I mean ARE!!!, in the suitcase with all the open zippers.

Now I am waiting for my last flight. I won’t know till noon which gate. So I have 2 hours and 45 minutes till then. I get to see my baby in about 13-14 hours. Woot! I am going to do my daily practice now and I might crash on my flight again. I sit on the other side of the plane for this trip. Woot! The other side of my body needs a break. Hehehe.

12:45 p.m. London time

Yea, yea yea! I cannot tell you how excited I am! I am beaming from ear to ear.

As I walked onto the plane I was muttering to myself “yea, yea, yea!”

I am sitting aboard my last international flight for a while! When I disembark, it will be my last customs visit for a while!

And the plane isn’t full so there is no one in the middle seat. I felt so silly as I hyperactively told the man in the aisle seat how excited I was, hehehe.

6 minutes until our scheduled departure. May this flight go smooth, fast, and without incident. Amen! So mote it be! And so it is done! Medicine Buddha!

1:15 p.m. We pushed back from the gate.

1:42 p.m. Well, we are in the air. I would have preferred to have left on time, but I’m heading home so I can’t complain. Hope they bring food quickly as I’m starving!

No comments: